[users at i-scream] statgrab freezes Solaris 10

Tim Bishop tim at bishnet.net
Fri Aug 5 15:39:04 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 04:32:42PM +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:

> >> Without comparing my local "fixes" with the 0.17 release state, do you
> >> test in a zone with some resources capped?
> >>
> >> Does the system really freezes or does statgrab simply takes a while to
> >> display the results?
> >
> > The system freezes until statgrab returns (successfully with the results)
> > which takes 6+ minutes
> >

> >> What kind of machine do you use for testing (E250?)
> >>

> > Right now, i'm testing on a virtualbox solaris 10 2010.09.
>
> Well, we (me and some friends) noticed that Solaris doesn't run very
> well in VirtualBox. I can confirm that everything running on a test
> installation of Solaris 10 in VirtualBox runs very slow, but I can't
> detect specific slowdown of any stagrab function.
>
> Probably you can use truss (or dtrace, when it seems to be library internal)
> to detect where it waits in your specific situation.
>
> > The compilation now works but the result is the
> > same (the entire system freezes while statgrab runs):
> > $ time statgrab
> > real    3m46.741s
> > user    0m0.019s
> > sys     3m46.007s

You can get statgrab to do lookups for specific data items only. For
example:

% statgrab cpu.
cpu.idle = 126285422754
cpu.iowait = 0
cpu.kernel = 894937112
cpu.nice = 0
cpu.swap = 0
cpu.systime = 1312555078
cpu.total = 130508178445
cpu.user = 3327818579

Maybe it's taking time probing a filesystem? Try each of the different
stats in turn to see which takes the time.

Tim.

--
Tim Bishop
http://www.bishnet.net/tim/