[users at i-scream] Cannot read file system stats

Jens Rehsack sno at NetBSD.org
Wed Apr 3 07:12:43 BST 2013

On 07.02.13 18:03, Tim Bishop wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 04:30:56PM +0100, Jens Rehsack wrote:

>>> Yes, we really should sort that out. It's been ages and I'm sorry for
>>> still not doing anything. Last I recall I wasn't happy that the code was
>>> in a releasable state, but I don't recall the details.
>>
>> Problem was that I hacked a lot in configure.in and m4/ sources what
>> probably better was not in the repo - but hell, I'm not an autoconf
>> nor an m4 coder, I'm system developer and C developer (okay, and C++
>> and Perl). I would let the configure sources in a working state - and
>> maybe receive some feedback from other developers out there (or not
>> and when I find a tuit I improve it later).
>
> Yes, it's coming back to me now. It was the autoconf/m4 stuff that I was
> unsure about, and could work out how best to proceed with.
>
> So really that's the main sticking point. Making sure those changes to
> the build stuff are good. Then we can merge that branch and release
> 0.18.
>
>>> https://github.com/tdb/libstatgrab/tree/jens-mega-patch
>>>
>>> If we can get that branch in to something that's sorted I'm happy to
>>> just release it. It's got to be better than doing nothing!
>>
>> Beside the configure.in and m4/* content the sources are working
>> perfectly on any Unix except MacOS X. When you have some free
>> time (I know how time consuming a family is), I try to provide
>> all answers and fixes you need.
>
> Yes, I don't really have any issue with the sources themselves, just the
> build stuff around it. But them I'm not a strong C developer, so there
> could be things in there that I wouldn't even notice aren't right. I was
> hoping someone else might take a look at that part, but if nobody does
> we'll just go with what you've done.
>
>> BTW: Current customer let me enhance the memory manager in my
>> mega patch to allow several allocation stragegies per statistic
>> type and caching of results via mmap(2). It's far from being
>> finished, but maybe a nice feature for 0.19 ;)
>
> Yes, lets leave that until after the first lot are done ;-)
>
> Tim.

Just a minor ping before I forget it for the next months ...

What are the next steps? Who has which task (IIRC, I sent all requested
patches, it should be on you to merge ...)

BTW: You might think about a statgrab organization account on github
where all developers should be joined in so you're not the only one
who has to do the merger job ...

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack